Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Teaching Philosophy

Before 2002, I had no plan to be a teacher. Because I had to cover my cost of living in the university, I looked for a part-time job. Luckily, I got a job teaching a group of sweet, warm, earnest, and outgoing students who paid attention in class, put themselves into each lesson and every activity, and which helped me build my confidence and interest in English teaching. Through this experience, I developed my beliefs on English teaching.
In my teaching beliefs, one role for instructors is to impart knowledge to students, but another is to help them to create a lifelong process of learning. Imparting knowledge implies an active instructor role, but in order for a class to be successful there needs to be an active student role as well. Thus, I like to have a student-centered classroom. I believe that students should be encouraged to be creative, free-thinking, tolerant, and open-minded people. Besides that, students need to take some responsibility for presenting material and for choosing what material will be covered. Active roles allow students to have more control over the class, in a sense, making it what they want rather than strictly what I, as the instructor, might want. What I strive for in all of my teaching roles is to make my students feel the course is “hard”, but help them enjoy it and find it an interesting challenge and succeed at the finish line.
I am a pragmatist and believe that the best learning occurs when thinking and acting is one process. Thus, I believe what John Dewey says, “Learning is life itself.” I would like my students to understand the application and daily usage of the language rather than to memorize grammar rules.
English writing is a tough and difficult work for both English as Foreign Language (EFL) teachers and learners. In most Asian countries, EFL learners rarely have a chance to read through English literature or novels. Most of the time, in English writing students prepare for the English writing test. Thus, most students have rich experience on formal essay wriitng, but there are few chances for students to express their feelings, thoughts and beliefs into words. In addition, the only audience is their English Teacher! After a while, both students and teachers feel frustrated and upset during English class.
Therefore, my teaching style incorporates two dimensions: generating excitement regarding the learning process and emphasizing the use of personal tone, both from myself as an instructor and with the participation of my students. I always try to add some different activities to attract students’ attention and increase their learning motivation. For instance, I use authentic materials, video clips, movie trailers, etc., to help EFL students write in English.
In order to achieve this, I strive personally to be available outside of class, encourage discussion and critical thinking, and use humor in my lectures. While I aim for excitement and a personal tone, I do not believe in coddling students. Rather, I prefer to treat them with respect and challenge them intellectually. I believe that students have the right to do free-writing and choose their own audience. In addition, I think writer’s notebook will also encourage students to write down their stories, thoughts, feelings, beliefs and opinions. After working through conferences with students, I find that they respond positively to such treatments. They tell me that the class activities are helpful to improve their English abilities and increase their learning motivation. And they are willing to ask me questions when they face difficulties on English learning. When I see the smiles on their faces, I take pride in sharing their joy.
Nowadays, I enjoy English teaching and learning so much. I really appreciate that I met that group of sweet students in my first teaching experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment